Re: [Ospf-manet] MPR-OSPF GTNetS simulations report

Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net> Sun, 28 January 2007 23:55 UTC

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:55:11 -0800
From: Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net>
To: Emmanuel Baccelli <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Ospf-manet] MPR-OSPF GTNetS simulations report
Cc: ospf-manet@ietf.org

Emmanuel,

Regarding your simulation results, it looks like using
MPR adjacency reduction does not reduce overhead much,
and based on the simulation results I presented recently,
MDR with adjacency reduction has much lower overhead.

I think you would have to make major changes to your draft
before it is competitive with MDR.  For example, you will at
least have to select MPRs (and "path MPRs" for LSAs) to be more
stable, which has not yet been described in your draft.

The MDR draft does not need major changes, but I am making
changes to improve readability, to simplify the BMDR algorithm,
and other minor changes such as improving min-cost LSAs.
This does not change the core methods for flooding and adjacency
reduction, which have been stable for about two years.

My point was that, since MPR adjacency reduction is not scalable,
the main contributions of your draft are MPR LSA reduction
and multicast retransmitted LSAs (the latter of which is not
new and was considered in version 00 of the MDR draft), and
that these two contributions do not by themselves constitute
an OSPF extension, but are techniques that can be applied
to either ORs or MDRs.

I mentioned that I will experiment with multicast retransmitted
LSAs to see if they improve the performance of MDRs in some
scenarios, and if they do they can be included as an option.
This would be a minor change to the MDR draft.

After we have both finalized our drafts, we should continue
our discussion then, and perform a fair simulation comparison.
Until then, I suggest we take a break from this discussion.

Richard