Re: [Ospf-manet] Re: Ospf-manet Digest, Vol 11, Issue 2

Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net> Sat, 07 October 2006 20:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 13:45:01 -0700
From: Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Ospf-manet] Re: Ospf-manet Digest, Vol 11, Issue 2
Cc: ospf-manet@ietf.org

Acee,

Acee Lindem wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm not sure extending the discussion longer will yield a consensus.
> I don't know what other parties who have not joined the discussion
> will join
> or what new information will move the WG toward a single approach. I may
> be wrong but I believe all the people who are familiar with two
> approaches
> are subscribed to this list. As I believe it was Joel who stated,
> there are
> many factors involved with what does or doesn't become a standard.
>
> I also think both of these drafts have received sufficient review and
> scrutiny of the design team to be experimental OSPF WG drafts. There are
> those who may disagree but I could possibly see these being positioned
> as a simple approach (MPRs) and dense topology optimal approach (MDRs).

I really don't believe the MPR approach is simpler than the MDR
approach, assuming that smart peering is used for adjacency
reduction to achieve scalability.  I provided some evidence
in my last post to support this belief (e.g., smart peering
would also have to compute disjoint paths to all neighbors
if biconnected adjacencies are desired).
(We can debate this issue in more detail if you think
it is important to agree on this now.)

Therefore, I don't think it is appropriate to position
the MPR approach as the simple approach.

I think the main difference between the two approaches
is as follows:

- The MDR approach uses a source-independent CDS which
  generalizes the DR.  (For scalability, adjacencies are reduced
  based on the MDRs/BMDRs, similar to the way adjacencies are
  reduced based on the DR/BDR in an OSPF broadcast network.
  However, adjacency reduction is optional.)

- The MPR approach uses source-dependent MPRs.
  (For scalability, adjacencies can be reduced using smart
  peering, which is based on connectivity via synchronized
  adjacencies and is not based on MPRs.)

I think the two approaches have about the same complexity.
Also, I think Boeing's simulation results show that MDRs
perform as well as MPRs even in sparse topologies, so
it would not be appropriate to position MPRs for sparse
and MDRs for dense topologies.

Richard