Re: [Ospf-manet] Simulation results for MPR adjacency reduction

Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net> Tue, 09 January 2007 16:00 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:00:00 -0800
From: Richard Ogier <rich.ogier@earthlink.net>
To: Emmanuel Baccelli <Emmanuel.Baccelli@inria.fr>
Subject: Re: [Ospf-manet] Simulation results for MPR adjacency reduction
Cc: ospf-manet@ietf.org

Emmanuel,

For MDR, the number of adjacency changes/node/sec is constant
as the number of nodes increases.  I.e., the number of
synchronizations per second is linear in the the number of nodes.
This is not true for MPR adjacencies (as my results show), and I don't
think it is possible as long as each router must become adjacent with
each of its MPRs and MPR selectors.
Let me know if you are somehow avoiding this consequence.

Maybe your results look OK for certain scenarios with a limited
number of nodes, but how scalable is your solution?
For example, how does it perform in dense networks with 100
or more nodes?

Regarding multicasting retransmitted LSAs, you are simply requiring
that every transmitted or retransmitted LSA be be Acked by every
adjacent neighbor.  This technique can be applied to any of the
proposals, including MDR.
One of the rules the design team discussed (more than a year ago)
for a fair simulation comparison is the following:
If a technique is used by protocol A, then it should also be used
by protocol B if it improves performance for that protocol.

Note that retransmitting LSAs as multicasts was considered in
version 00 of the MDR draft.  It was later removed partly to
minimize changes to OSPF and partly because it did not appear
to reduce overhead much when adjacency reduction is used.
However, it can easily be allowed as an option if it is found
to improve performance in some scenarios.

I noticed that your code still does not do the backlink check
in the SPF calculation when OSPF6_MANET_HELLO_OSPF_MPR
is defined (this also affects the MDR code).  Do you understand why
this is not compatible with OSPFv3?  For example, a MANET router could
have a non-MANET neighbor, which performs the backlink check and
therefore does not compute the shortest-path tree based on the same
topology, possibly resulting in routing loops.
In addition, an adjacency is not fully synchronized until the state
is Full at BOTH endpoints.

I took a quick look at the bug you mentioned where an old Ack can
replace a newer Ack.  I think you are correct, since in the
function ospf6_store_mack(), if an Ack already exists in the
mack list (even if it is newer), the sequence number of the
stored Ack is set to the sequence number of the received Ack,
even if the received Ack is older.

Richard