[Ospf-wireless-design] OSPF Flooding and Higher Mobility

Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com> Fri, 04 November 2005 21:03 UTC

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:52:40 -0500
From: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>
To: ospf-wireless-design@ietf.org
Subject: [Ospf-wireless-design] OSPF Flooding and Higher Mobility
Sender: ospf-wireless-design-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Based on the INRIA reports and attendant E-mail threads, we (Cisco) have
recently gone down the path of doing some simulations with higher mobility.
The attached spread sheets show the results for 16 m/sec velocity and
varying radio range. The pause time is still 40 seconds. We found the results
to be more drastic with a smaller pause time but had some problems getting
a complete set of runs.

MPRs have the following improvements over the base provided with GTNetS:

     - Smart Peering is fixed to avoid instability by running a second
       SPF to determine if a potential peer is available via a real
       adjacency or unsynchronized adjacency. The adjacency is only suppressed
       in the case of connectivity to the SPT via real adjacencies. This
       is discussed in the Boeing report but wasn't implemented.

Also, we have enabled promiscuous LSA caching enabled with the LSA
cache timeout extended to 100 seconds. We are attempting to get some
runs with this disabled as well some with a shorter pause time.

For MDRs we used the standard bi-connected topology.

We will provide the diffs for the code changes supporting smart peering.

We have also been investigating using the MDR strategy of reducing adjacencies
by taking advantage of the flooding topology. However, doing this effectively
is more complex than it first seemed.

Stan Ratliff, a Cisco Software Engineer, will be presenting these results.

Thanks and Sorry for the Short Notice,
Acee