Re: [OSPF] Review Request: New Version Notification for draft-hegde-ospf-node-admin-tag-00.txt

Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net> Wed, 23 October 2013 07:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:27:27 +0200
From: Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net>
To: Acee Lindem <acee.lindem@ericsson.com>
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>, Rob Shakir <rob.shakir@bt.com>, Harish Raghuveer <hraghuveer@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Review Request: New Version Notification for draft-hegde-ospf-node-admin-tag-00.txt

acee,

i think that 16 is an unreasonable max threshold as we have proof point (e.g. link-colors)
that even 32 colors are not enough - so support for 64 colors is the bare minimum
that SPs are looking for.
i fail to see the threat of overfilling the RI, with worst case 400 bytes (100 colors).
furthermore it is an upper boundary number ...

/hannes

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 08:05:09PM +0000, Acee Lindem wrote:
| I don't disagree that the typical use case is a single tag with the likelihood of mult-tag use cases diminishing exponentially as the number of tags increases. My point is that unbounded TLVs MUST NOT be included in the OSPF RI LSA. What part of that is hard to understand?
| I think that 16 is a reasonable maximum and that beyond 16 would imply encoding ulterior information that should have its own TLV or LSA anyway.
| Acee
|
| On Oct 22, 2013, at 3:48 PM, Anton Smirnov wrote:
|
| >   Hi Acee,
| >   it looks to me that the most probable deployment will use 1 tag. Router advertising 100 tags already sounds unreasonable.
| >   Defining new LSID to originate LSA with (typically) only 4 bytes of useful information is not optimal. Choice of RI LSA to advertise some small data is reasonable.
| >   RI LSA is far from getting too big. If there is a concern of RI LSA overfilling then we can extend range of opaque IDs - but is it really necessary at this point?
| >
| > Anton
| >

| > On 10/21/2013 09:55 PM, Acee Lindem wrote:
| >> I think we are in a circular argument here and I'm not discuss this
| >> independently with each of the authors. Either you have to limit the
| >> number of tags, define a new LSA, or do the work to make RI LSA
| >> multi-instance. All are viable alternatives with differing pros and cons -
| >> including it in the existing RI LSA is not a viable alternative. Remember
| >> to request a session if you plan to present it at IETF 88.
| >> Thanks,
| >> Acee

| >>>>> |
> [...]
| >>>>> |
> [...]
> [...]