Re: RFC 2370 Update and a Proposed Change to Stub Area Behavior

Dave Katz <dkatz@JUNIPER.NET> Fri, 12 August 2005 02:33 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:33:45 -0700
From: Dave Katz <dkatz@JUNIPER.NET>
Subject: Re: RFC 2370 Update and a Proposed Change to Stub Area Behavior
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

I guess the broader question is, does this really matter at all?  Are
stub areas even useful any longer?

Once upon a time, routers were memory-starved little boxes, but it's
not clear to me at this point why anybody actually needs stub areas,
unless they're still running AGS+'s someplace.

Stub areas were a hack 15+ years ago (along with a bunch of other
sort-sighted optimizations) but they don't seem all that useful these
days...

--Dave

On Aug 11, 2005, at 5:09 PM, Erblichs wrote:

> [...]
> are not
> flooded into/throughout stub areas; routing to AS external
> destinations
> in these areas is based on a (per-area) default only.  This reduces
> the
> topological database size, and therefore the memory requirements,
> for a
> stub area's internal routers.
>

> ==========================
>
> ========================
>
> Acee Lindem wrote:
>

>> At the 63rd IETF in Paris, I proposed that we remove the
>> restriction on the
>> flooding of unknown LSAs into stub areas. Here is an excerpt from the
>> presentation:
>>
>> - Section 2.9 mandates that an OSPFv3 router should NOT advertise an
>> unknown LSA if the U bit is set to “1” – flood as if known.
>> ->Should be removed in RFC 2740 respin.
>> ->Limits backward compatibility for new LSA types
>> ->No corresponding rule for opaque LSAs
>> ->Fact that LSA is flooded at all implies one router is stub/NSSA
>> understands it.
>> ->Ineffective/non-deterministic database limit
>> ->As long as there is an intra-area spanning tree of routers that
>> understand the LSA type - The LSA will be in everyones database
>>
>> Comments? Speak now if you wish to retain the current stub area
>> restriction.
>> My intent is to deprecate it with an appendix documenting it's
>> removal.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Acee
>>
>> Acee Lindem wrote:
>>

>>> In the evolution of the OSPFv2 protocol specification
>>> (RFC 1247->RFC 1583 -> RFC 2178 -> RFC 2328) numerous
>>> bugs were fixed and some protocol behaviors were altered. Examples
>>> include the metric cost for area ranges and the selection of the
>>> ASBR for AS external route computation.
>>>
>>> In the context of documenting the OSPFv3 NSSA differences I've
>>> looked again at section 2.10 and I really think the idea of not
>>> flooding
>>> unknown LSA types with the U-bit set to 1 is broken. I think it
>>> breaks
>>> the whole idea of being able to introduce new LSA types in a
>>> backward
>>> compatible fashion. Furthermore, it won't stop the leakage of these
>>> unknown LSAs when some routers understand them and others do not -
>>> it all depends on whether you have a spanning tree of routers that
>>> understand them. Since the LSAs in question are area scoped or link
>>> scoped, it implies that at least one router (the originator)
>>> understands the
>>> new type and you will have a mixture. IMHO, this is broken. I've had
>>> some discussions with others who agree. At this juncture,
>>> we have 3 alternatives:
>>>
>>> 1) Remove the restriction for that unknown LSAs with the U-bit
>>> set to 0 for stub areas.
>>> 2) Extend the broken restriction to NSSAs in the update.
>>> 3) Limit the damage to stub areas and only restrict AS scoped LSAs