Re: Equal-cost path

Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET> Wed, 13 April 2005 22:25 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:31:50 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: Equal-cost path
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Group, et al,

	I would like to agree with Dave Katz.

	However, I would like to expound on just a
	couple of items.

	First, at the hardware layer, in my experience
	with Ethernet, you want to bunch packets together
	so as to be able to process a group of packets
	with a single interrupt.

	Secondly, if we assume OSPF control Updates with
	new link information, I would hope that these
	would be processed together and generate only
	1 later computation.

	Thirdly, if we are looking at a single data
	stream that in theory has a set of packets being
	handled on both ends by TCP, if only a singe
	TCP packet is delayed or expedited and arrives
	out of order, we can easily generate a false
	fast retransmit.

	Fourth, most TCP paths need a baicly constant flow of
	packets in-flight to determine congestion and be
	able to run network limited flows vs application
	limited flows. With the later, and any changes, the
	end-points are unable to determine whethe the
	those paths have changed wrt congestion behaviour.

	So in theory spreading the load over multiple paths
	is not a panacea, but is a sensible thing to determine
	congestion over the different paths, and to be able
	to generate predictable time measurements.

	Mitchell Erblich