Re: [OSPF] OSPF GR query

"sujay gupta" <sujay.ietf@gmail.com> Tue, 02 January 2007 05:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:12:55 +0530
From: sujay gupta <sujay.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF GR query
Cc: ospf@ietf.org

Hi Acee, all,

A late reply on this thread.

Some comments with relevant text.

<snip>
 No - The presumption is when you reach FULL state you don't need to
 "quit"
helping - you have "finished" helping. Over the years, there have been a
few situations that could have been better documented - however, this
never
caused any confusion in the past.
<snip>
I'm not sure what the network picture looks like but a helper
router can always terminate graceful restart by flooding an
inconsistent router or network LSA to the restarting  router.
<snip/>

While going with the basic OSPF protocol working, when the helper
exits.
-before reaching Full State would be to regenerate LSA's, giving a snapshot
of the incomplete state with the Restarting router, causing an
"inconsistent"
lsa generation which in turn would cause the restarting router exit GR.
-after reaching Full State would be to regenerate LSA's, but this time a
duped LSA
reporting "inconsistent" states, which in turn would cause the restarting
router to
exit GR.
While I immediately see 'wee' bit of an ethical problem by this approach(for
it looks more like a hack ;), it is still a way of explicit signaling,
works for me!  Some other ways could have been "a one-way hello" or "lls
signaling".

Some more text.
<snip>
Over the years, there have been a
few situations that could have been better documented - however, this
never
caused any confusion in the past.
<snip/>

Acee, with my limited experience in the OSPF WG, I have had and seen
confusions.
Please note RFC3623 Exit GR procedures (Section 3.2) does not entail the
helper GR to produce inconsistent LSA's, an addendum should have a better
future rather than raising the same queries again.

There have been some more issues raised on the GR and update by Mitchell,
which I shall shortly address in a separate e-mail.

Best Regards & HNY'07,
-Sujay