Re: [OSPF] Query regarding behavior of OSPF DR-Other's neighbor-State with BDR when DR fails, when DR down detection is delayed at DR-Other.

Bharath R <rbharath@juniper.net> Tue, 18 June 2013 15:58 UTC

From: Bharath R <rbharath@juniper.net>
To: Tanmoy Kundu <tanmoycs@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:58:17 +0000
x-originating-ip: [116.197.178.83]
Cc: "OSPF@ietf.org" <OSPF@ietf.org>, Dileep Singh <dsachan@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Query regarding behavior of OSPF DR-Other's neighbor-State with BDR when DR fails, when DR down detection is delayed at DR-Other.

Hi Tanmoy,
Thank you for your quick response.

Let me give a few clarifications:

Under the below mentioned scenario, we would definitely expect a network convergence delay.
But, here, the question is regarding the adjacency flap between DR-Other and BDR on DR interface down.
If adjacency is anyway going to flap between DR -Other and BDR under some
scenarios(It is definitely possible that in a network some routers detect events faster than the others),
then is there a significant advantage that we derive from having a BDR?

Regarding NeighborChange Event:
Sorry If I was not clear,
I totally agree that NeighborChange Event should be triggered after DR fail is detected.
But, the question really is should the neighbor Change event be triggered when R2(new DR ) sent a new Hello.
Please note that NeighborChange event I am referring to  is in response to the Hello as received from the Neighbor and not a result of our DR calculation.
So, If a Neighbor was previously declaring itself a BDR and is now declaring itself a DR(to both of which we are expected to be adjacent), should the NeighborChange event still be triggered?

And I don't think having DR-priority non-zero in DR-Others would have made any difference to the above scenario.
R2 instead of declaring BDR NULL would have declared some other router as BDR(considering a more generic LAN case), and DR other
would have still flapped the adjacency with the new DR(R2) since R2 was BDR before and is no longer BDR.

I am not claiming that the behavior noticed is incorrect. I am actually trying to understand the below lines of the RFC:

            o   One of the bidirectional neighbors is newly declaring
                itself as either Designated Router or Backup Designated
                Router.  This is detected through examination of that
                neighbor's Hello Packets.

            o   One of the bidirectional neighbors is no longer
                declaring itself as Designated Router, or is no longer
                declaring itself as Backup Designated Router.  This is
                again detected through examination of that neighbor's
                Hello Packets.

Whether these two bullets are mentioning transition from {DR to (BDR or DR-Other)}, and {BDR to (DR or DR-other)}
Or does it just mean a transition from Non-DR-Other to DR-Other and DR-Other to Non-DR-Other.
Where Non-DR-Other means (DR and BDR).

Also, given that some DR-Others may detect Neighbor Down later than BDR, is adjacency flap with BDR expected(though there was no problem in link to BDR).

Thanks and Regards,
Bharath R.