Re: [OSPF] draft-kini-ospf-fast-notification-01

Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com> Tue, 12 April 2011 08:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 10:06:24 +0200
From: Anton Smirnov <asmirnov@cisco.com>
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
Cc: ospf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OSPF] draft-kini-ospf-fast-notification-01

    Hi Greg,

 > Would
 > IPFRR still be considered FRR if restoration of connectivity relies on
 > flooding

I don't understand the question. Failed IPFRR is still FRR. But failed one.
    We all know that each technology has its limitations. Not full
coverage is known limitation of IPFRR. And it is also understood that
when IPFRR fails routers have to resort to traditional convergence. But
this doesn't change the fact that flooding is not part of IPFRR.
Flooding is part of traditional convergence.
    Flooding and traditional convergence are required even if IPFRR
succeeds because router can't run forever on repair routes. So flooding
is always part of the bigger picture, it just is not part of IPFRR
technology itself.

Anton