Re: [OSPF] Comments / questions on RFC3623 and Update GR part 1 : BMA env

Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net> Fri, 17 November 2006 00:13 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:17:46 -0800
From: Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net>
To: sujay gupta <sujay.ietf@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Comments / questions on RFC3623 and Update GR part 1 : BMA env
Cc: ospf@ietf.org

Sujay Gupta,

	Let me give you some insight on part of this thinking.
	IMO, GR has added a few holes in our converged routing
	assumptions and that your update might be able to close
	a couple..

	There is alot here!!!!

	Summary says to think multiple
	times before you exit prematurely based on a topology
	change (LSDB) and assume that you need router "X" no matter
	what.

	So...

		Why don't you tell me how a LSDB change is
		going to be communicated iff the env is
		BMA and GR router "X" is the DR and no
		BDR exists?

		I consider this a huge hole..
		I don't really see a DR-other communicating
		  LSAs to other DR-others to allow them to
		  understand about a topology change.

	Second, lets assume that router X's is an extremely
	important router within our area with the
	connection to the internet, etc..  If it weren't we
	would / COULD just take it down.

	thus, we have router "X" is a DR, and is the ONLY path
	to a set of routes and end-systems within this area..

	Then lets conservatively look that a topology change is
	a removal of a single router LSA that has no effect
	after a SPF calculation.

	If router "X" has sucessfully entered its grace
	period / GR interval, aren't we ...

	   .... black holing the routers, routes, end-systems
	   that reside on the other end of router "X"?

	   .... since router "X" CAN not probe to verify that
	  a topology change has occured. It is in non-stop
	  forwarding mode.. It will still forward pkts to
	  the removed LSA routes until...

	so what...
	  The pkts that are forwarded by router "X" to
	  say non-reach Z will cause minimal harm.. They will be
	  dropped and most likely a ICMP message will
	  be sent on the reverse path... The ICMP
	  message might be interpreted by X, but if it
	  is just forwarded,

	  So,,, what we have here is the unability is to allow
	  router "X" to state that its routes are of a level
	  of imporantance that most topology changes should
	  be balanced against a delay in making the change.

		New LSAs or changed LSAs that don't show up as
	        primary LSAs after the SPF calculation COULD
		in theory IMO, also be ignored. The originator
		could in theory check out whether the LSA is
		needed to be communicated.

	       (This says just because a minor toplogy change
		has occured do we need to go thru all the
	 	work and possibly isolate router's "X"'s
		dependencies).

	  If we feel that the new / changed / or removed LSA
	 should be communicated ...
	   router X still isn't going to be in convergence
	   until it resync it's LSDB

	   If the change of LSA results in a better route, is
	   it worth isolating router's X's entities???...

      Third, most large OSPF router vendors support the ability
      to set the LSA refresh time on non-DNA LSAs. If we are in
      a normal environment that the admin does this to decrease
      the number of LSA refreshes versus the drastic steps to
      using DNA LSAs. Then assuming having a 45 min LSA refresh
      would not be unreasonable.

	Going with this logic we have a few simple steps to
	take.
		One is that all HELPERS that originate LSAs,
	        re-originate their LSAs upon first seeing a grace
		LSA in addition to router "X" doing the same.

		This allows us to take almost the full hour of the
		grace-time.

		If we could communicate a wished grace-time in
		excess of 1 hour, we could in theory send out
		DNA LSAs which would allow a static environment
		to support grace times in excess of 1 hour.
		:: Part of this logic follows the damand circuit
		   support.

	Part of this is can, should we figure out a way to stop
	router "X" in his grace-period/interval from forwarding pkts
	based on obsolete OSPF control information.?????

	The other part says, why don't we just run in a degraded mode
	if we -realize that router "X" is so important that we would
	just isolate ourselves or so many routes/routers that we
	REALLY need to keep router "X" alive as long as feasibly
	possible.

	Third minor item is I didn't see any suggestion of removing
	entitites from HELPERS forwarding table based on removing the
	GR router because of a LSDB change.

	Mitchell Erblich

Hi Mitchell,
I have some comments inline;