Re: Two queries on calculating AS external routes

Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM> Tue, 28 June 2005 13:59 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:59:09 -0400
From: Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: Two queries on calculating AS external routes
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Paresh Khatri wrote:

>Thanks Acee,
>
>Looking back at my second query, I realise that I wasn't quite clear on what I was getting at (my apologies).  It should be phrased as such:
>
>2)
>Looking at step (6) now.  If we have two, and only two, paths to a
>destination N, with the following characteristics:
> - same route-type (say, Type 2 external)
> - same type-2 metric
> - originated by two different ASBRs and the ASBRs are in different non-backbone areas.
> - the intra-area distance to the ASBR is the same for both paths (but of course, through a
>   different area in each case)
>Will both paths be installed in the routing table ?  If so, would that not
>contradict section 16.8, which states that all equal-cost paths for a route
>should be associated with the same area ?
>
>Would 16.4 (3) apply in this case or is it only applicable when you have multiple paths to the *same* ASBR ?

Hi Paresh,

Although not explicitly stated, the intent of the RFC is to have a
single exit point
from the OSPF routing domain for the AS external route. This was
clarified in the
latest NSSA RFC with the LSA with the highest router ID given preference
- see
section 2.5 of RFC 3101.

Hope this helps,
Acee