Re: [OSPF] AD review of draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-03

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Mon, 26 June 2017 09:59 UTC

From: <bruno.decraene@orange.com>
To: Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>, OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap@ietf.org>, Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:59:46 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [OSPF] AD review of draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-03

Hi Alia,

Many thanks for the useful review.
-04 has just been published. I believe it address your first pass of comments.
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-04
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-04

Main changes:
- aligning with  I-D.ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps rather than RFC 5512.
- adding 2 sub-TLV coming from I-D.ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps: IP QoS Field, UDP Destination Port. Note that the first one is currently called "IPv4 DS Field" in the IDR draft. I've commented on IDR that this is IPv4 specific with no IPv6 counterpart. Waiting for the resolution. We need the BGP and IGP draft to be aligned.
- removed registry "IGP Tunnel Encapsulation Type" and pointing to existing registry "BGP Tunnel Encapsulation Type"
- (editorial) Sub-TLV of the Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute are grouped in a dedicated section (§6)
- clarification that for all but one, those sub-TLV are defined in I-D.ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps, from a syntax, semantic and usage standpoint.
- color Sub-TLV better defined (as not aligned with the IDR draft)
- added a section about the usage of the Tunnel Encapsulation attribute (§7)
- a significant rule added: " A tunnel MUST NOT be used if there is no route toward the IP address
   specified in the Endpoint Sub-TLV or if the route is not advertised
   by the router advertising the Tunnel Encapsulation attribute
   advertising this tunnel. "

Some follow up on some of your points that I had missed in previous answer:

[...]
> (does variable length fields based upon the allocated type cause issues for OSPF sub-TLV parsing???)

I guess that you are referring to
"   o  Sub-TLV Length (1 or 2 octets): the total number of octets of the
      sub-TLV value field.  The Sub-TLV Length field contains 1 octet if
      the Sub-TLV Type field contains a value in the range from 1-127.
      The Sub-TLV Length field contains two octets if the Sub-TLV Type
      field contains a value in the range from 128-254."
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-tunnel-encaps-06#section-2

The IGP draft does not use this. It uses a fixed 1-octet length field:
    " Sub-TLV Length (1 octet): Unsigned 8-bit integer indicating the
      total number of octets of the Sub-TLV value field."
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ospf-encapsulation-cap-04#section-5

> Semantics and behavior need to be specified - not just the encodings

Agreed.
Note however that the behavior is more complex in the BGP draft, because the Tunnel Attribute is attached to BGP routes, which can be of various SAFI with their own semantic and usage (e.g. GRT vs VPN/overlay case, labeled/unlabeled...) and their interaction with the different kind of tunnels (GRT vs VPN, labeled vs unlabeled). This is not the case in the IGP draft which only signals the tunnel itself (discovery, parameters).

Thanks again for the careful review and the useful comments.

Regards,
--Bruno

Thank you.