Re: Update to OSPF Hello procedure[draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt]

Vishwas Manral <Vishwas@SINETT.COM> Fri, 30 December 2005 05:50 UTC

Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 21:50:10 -0800
From: Vishwas Manral <Vishwas@SINETT.COM>
Subject: Re: Update to OSPF Hello procedure[draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt]
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Hi Zengjie,

Why isn't it good enough to send a hello if the hello interval value is
changed? I think you can find many-many other cases.

I think to put the draft generally, whenever the content of the hello
message changes we could send the hello immediately and then reset the
hello timer to expire "Hello interval" seconds later.

Another thing is about "Rate limiting Hello's" to prevent overwhelming
of the network by hellos being sent. I think it is an essential feature.

Thanks,
Vishwas