[OSPF] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-link-overload-13: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com> Wed, 24 January 2018 17:56 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@gmail.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ospf-link-overload@ietf.org, Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>, ospf-chairs@ietf.org, ospf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:56:35 -0800
Subject: [OSPF] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-ospf-link-overload-13: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ospf-link-overload-13: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ospf-link-overload/

COMMENT:

I debated about filing my first comment as a DISCUSS [1], but decided against
it because it should be very easy to solve.  The rest are non-blocking comments.

(1) The following should be Normative references: rfc2119 and rfc6987 -- this
last one because MaxLinkMetric (which is defined there) is extensively used (as
a MUST) throughout the document.

(2) Section 3. (Flooding Scope) provides information about the flooding scope,
but only references for OSPFv2.  It would be nice if the references for OSPFv3
were included there as well.

(3) Section 4.5. mentions that a "new TLV called Graceful-Link-Shutdown is
defined" for BGP-LS, but there are no details on the format, etc.  The IANA
Considerations section suggests a value, not for a TLV but for an NLRI Type!

(4) Section 5: "The node that has the link to be taken out of service SHOULD
advertise the Graceful-Link-Shutdown sub-TLV..."  When would the node not
advertise the sub-TLV?  IOW, why is "MUST" not used?

(5) In 5.1: "MAX-TE-METRIC is a constant defined by this draft and set to
0xfffffffe."  Assuming that the intent is to define a new architectural
constant... I would rather see this constant defined separately (in it's own
section/sub-section with a formal definition) instead of "in passing" while
describing how to use it (a la MaxLinkMetric in rfc6987).

(6) 5.1 says that the metrics "MUST be set to MaxLinkMetric...and SHOULD be set
to MAX-TE-METRIC".  Why is there a difference?

(7) s/MAX_METRIC/MaxLinkMetric

[1] https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html