Re: My virtual-link question

Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET> Sat, 31 July 2004 01:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:19:30 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: My virtual-link question
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Don,

        MAXAGE is used to withdraw a link from the LSDB.
        It is normally done when the SEQ is Maxed out.

        If a router is indeed OVERLOADED and unable to
        route even the fewest of transit packets and/or
        dst packets, then it is easily concieveable not
        to waste the bandwidth of to the destinations
        knowing those packets are going to be dropped
        anyway. Worst case is a drop at the last hop.

        You are in effect voluntering blackholing those
        routes until your router is able to advertise them
        again. It is a very drastic move which forces a new
        convergence to take place. It also assumes that
        you can still generate the advertisement. The same
        will happen if you don't refresh the routes in
        1 hours timeframe.

        Please be aware that this is different from DNA
        (do not age) LSAs.

        The MAXCOST metric via the Stub Router Advertisement
        only minimizes the number of transit pkts, but with
        no alternatives does not decrease the amount of
        transit traffic. It does not effect pkts that are
        routed only to a dst that is attached thru the
        router.

        I thought you would like to see how to do both of
        your items.

        Mitchell Erblich