Re: [OSPF] OSPF Topology Transparent Zone (TTZ) WG Poll for Adoption as Experimental

Richard Li <renwei.li@huawei.com> Tue, 13 January 2015 22:31 UTC

From: Richard Li <renwei.li@huawei.com>
To: OSPF WG List <ospf@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:30:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.213.48.56]
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF Topology Transparent Zone (TTZ) WG Poll for Adoption as Experimental

I support it for adoption as "Experimental" as a co-author.

This draft specifies a method for topology abstraction, virtualization and reduction. An implementation has been completed and shown as running codes in IETF'91 at Hololulu.

Among others I see a few testable advantages and up-sides:

- It can reduce message amount and topology complexity, and thus reduces the OSPF computation overhead for routers out of the zones.

- It allows for network re-areaing without service disruption. Sometimes a network needs to be split into multiple smaller areas. Without TTZ, we would see that some interfaces will go down after the old area is removed and then go up after the new area is configured. With TTZ, the routers would not "feel" those changes inside a zone.

- It provides for operational ease for network re-areaing. Splitting a part of network into few smaller areas is very challenging. TTZ will make the job a lot easier.

- It improves network scalability a lot by virtualizing a zone as its edges connected, and can make Create and Maintain E2E Service much easier.

Thanks and regards,

Renwei