Re: regarding ospf las flushing .....

Dave Katz <dkatz@JUNIPER.NET> Thu, 09 June 2005 00:30 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:30:06 -0700
From: Dave Katz <dkatz@JUNIPER.NET>
Subject: Re: regarding ospf las flushing .....
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

The tuple of originating router, LSA ID, and LSA type *always* uniquely
and completely identifies an LSA, by definition.

There can never be any ambiguity about which LSA is being flushed, even
when only the header is sent.  The only way this could even
conceptually be an issue is if an implementation thought it could send
two different external routes with the same LSA ID but different masks,
but this is not allowed (I seem to recall that there was evidence that
some misguided implementation attempted such a thing recently.)

I wrote the Juniper implementation this way back in '97 and things
worked swimmingly until a broken implementation came along that tried
to access the contents of the LSA before noticing that it was being
flushed, and did something bad (like crashed.)  I don't recall offhand
how this was resolved, though I'm sure I resisted changing our
implementation.

--Dave