Re: [OSPF] Removal of MOSPF from OSPFv3

Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net> Thu, 02 August 2007 17:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:01:19 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@earthlink.net>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@redback.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] Removal of MOSPF from OSPFv3
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>

Acee Lindem and group,

	IMO, OSPF needs to have some form
	of formal DEPRECATION policy.

	WOULD it be more prudent to suggest first
	generating some type of DEPRECATED statement?

	This is common in OSs when a feature is about
	to be removed in one of the next releases.
	Doing so ONLY in the context of a mail alias
	limits the notification to a limited audience.

	IMO, that COULD be done by checking the bit
	in the hello and if set generating the msg
	one time per intf.

	In theory, the DEPRECATE statement would suggest
	sending a email to the ospf@ietf.org mailing list
	identifying the manufacturer and the box in
	question.

	This could be done for 1 release time of say
	6 months to VERIFY that no-one is using that
	bit..

	Currently I believe the v3 spec says to ignore
	a capability bit that is not understood. So, it
	would quietly ignore if that bit is set.

	IFF this suggestion would be followed, then the
	appropriate sections within the RFC get changed
	to state that this item is being DEPRECATED, and
	that anyone wishing to notify of any possible
	conflict should send a email to the ospf@ietf.org
	mail alias.

	THis would cover ALL users who MIGHT be using
	a non-conformant and/or legacy (not currently in
	business) router and people who read the ospf RFCs
	but do not subscibe to the mail alias.

	In the legal sense, I believe this would be equal
	to "Due Diligence".

	Mitchell Erblich