Re: Update to OSPF Hello procedure[draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt]

Zengjie Kou <kouzengjie@HUAWEI.COM> Wed, 04 January 2006 02:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:33:54 +0800
From: Zengjie Kou <kouzengjie@HUAWEI.COM>
Subject: Re: Update to OSPF Hello procedure[draft-kou-ospf-immediately-replying-hello-00.txt]
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

hi,Mitchell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erblichs" <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
To: <OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:47 AM

> [...]
>
> This is done, by accepting the hello fields that
> specify a DR / BDR normally by the DR / BDR, so we
> stop the process of election.
>
> The question is when it stops. I have seen some
> implimentations only stop the election when a router
> has stated it is the DR / BDR on its first hello.
> This may be almost 10 secs by default after the
> interface comes up. Others will accept the DR / BDR
> on a later hello.
>
> Thus, It is the later hello or a delayed 10 sec if
> no hellos are lost or 30+ secs if a hello was lost
> that will stop the DR / BDR election.
>
> Worse case scenario...
> Lastly on a BMA environment, if we have a number of 9 routers
> (follows with immediate hello responses) that come up in a
> sequence in a 9 secs timeframe and the 10th router is the DR
> (with a standard 10 sec periodic hello) chiming in with a
> hello at 10 secs.
>
> Oh, we can change secs to ms and the same number of hellos
> would be exchanged.
>
> This is how I see it with unicast hellos.... The logic is
> on the initial intf up, that router sends out a hello, then
> every router on the intf responds. The router sees its on
> id on the responding hellos, but needs now to respond to the
> responders so they can see their own ids. This is a fast
> adj formation and assumes that each router is capable of
> becoming the DR and/or the BDR.
>
> Time 0 : 1st router comes up: Sends out a hello ; 1 (h) hello
>
>      1  : 2nd                     "     "    1st one responds
>      2nd needs to respond
> both are now 2-way :
> 1prev + 3new = 4
>
>      2  : 3rd                     "     "
> 1st responds
> 3rd responds to 1st
> 2nd responds
> 3rd responds to 2nd
> all three are now 2-way
> 4 prev + 5 new = 9
>

>     3 : 4th                    "        "
> 1st responds
> 4th responds to 1st
> 2nd responds
> 4th responds to 2nd
> 3rd responds
> 4th responds to 3rd
> 9 prev + 7 : 16 hellos
>

> 4   : 5th     16 prev + 9new = 25
> 5   : 6th 25 prev + 11 new : 36
> 6:  : 7th 36 prev + 13 new : 49
> 7   : 8th 49 prev + 15 new : 64
> 8   : 9th 64 prev + 17 new : 81 hellos
>
> Now the 10th pkt comes from the already up DR and all previous
> 9 respond. 81 prev + 1 hello from DR + 9 immediate replies= 91 hellos
>
> And even with this logic, I still am not updating each hello
> time period. Starting at time 2, when 3rd responded to 1st router
> it did not include the knowledge of router 2. Thus, in theory
> 3rd SHOULD send again a hello pkt back to 1st that includes the
> router 2 in its information. So, the number of hellos is worse
> with proper updates. And is fairly complex because it now needs
> a list of nbrs that needs hellos and which become out of sync

Again to verify:
 1.) Immediate Hello can be enable or disable.
 2.) On broadcast and NBMA networks, Immediate Hello expedite link recovery when a link goes down then up and does bring a few extra hellos(with 10 routers, will need 27(9*3) hellos ).

At the moment of router booting, the Immediate Hello is not fit. So, we can disable it.

Thanks
Kou.