Re: [OSPF] WG Adoption Poll for "OSPF LLS Extensions for Local Interface ID Advertisement"

Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com> Wed, 24 May 2017 08:54 UTC

To: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <acee@cisco.com>, OSPF WG List <ospf@ietf.org>
From: Julien Meuric <julien.meuric@orange.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:54:04 +0200
Subject: Re: [OSPF] WG Adoption Poll for "OSPF LLS Extensions for Local Interface ID Advertisement"

Hi Acee,

There is indeed overwhelming support on the feature. However, reading
this brand new -01 (thanks for the advertisement) and the necessary
backward compatibility section it had to include, I wonder if this I-D
is specifying a solution to a problem vs. creating new issues...

More generally, we should clarify how much we, as community, are ready
to duplicate protocol extensions/codepoints on a solely "repurposing"
basis. If there is a risk of redefining all extensions originally
specified for the TE use-case, we must right now discuss where to
globally draw the line between what we may accept and what we will not.
Otherwise, we will jump onto a controversy each time a new parameter set
is tackled in a dedicated I-D.

Please note there are some other ways forward in the Routing area. For
(random) example, PCEP has been repurposed from a its original scope to
encompass capabilities to push state. To do so, some features and
objects had to be repurposed, but the specification managed to reuse the
original ones, avoiding any backward compatibility considerations...

Regards,

Julien

May. 23, 2017 - acee@cisco.com: