Re: [OSPF] draft-kini-ospf-fast-notification-01

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com> Tue, 05 April 2011 02:13 UTC

To: Sriganesh Kini <sriganesh.kini@ericsson.com>
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@occnc.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 22:14:53 -0400
Sender: curtis@occnc.com
Cc: ospf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OSPF] draft-kini-ospf-fast-notification-01

Sri,

I spoke to a few people at IETF who have implemented OSPF and I have
deployed OSPF.  Flooding was not considered an issue.

A notfification would normally go out when a LSA is modified to
withdraw an adjacency.  Even a software SHA-256 is not that long a
time in software.

The question was whether anyone running a real network had measuered
flooding delay and found it to be a problem.

Also keep in mind that *modern* IGP implementations reflood first and
then SPF and download routes later.  You might want to look through
the archives of presentations at NANOG related to convergence.  Packet
designs and Qwest did some work on this about 5 years ago or more.
You may be tackling a non-problem.

Curtis