Re: [OSPF] OSPF GR query

"Abhay D.S" <abhayds@acm.org> Mon, 13 November 2006 02:02 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:02:02 +0800
From: "Abhay D.S" <abhayds@acm.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] OSPF GR query
To: sujay gupta <sujay.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: ospf@ietf.org

hi ,

To say in non-technical terms, quit gr or not quit gr makes no
difference. ( I mean my cup is atleast half full, instead of calling
it half empty).

There are many other protocols dependending on OSPFv2 GR, so we better
not to a real Quit for the following reasons.

Here is the order of convergence required in major networks during
graceful restart.

1) Layer 2 convergence (control plane information)
2) Layer 3 OSPF/ISIS -> MPLS (Shim Protocols) -> BGP
3) Final convergence of all protocols.

In step 2, if you quit GR what would happen to MPLS and BGP convergence
?.(Dont forget the big deal BGP recursive
route selection )

GR will work even if you dont follow the RFC completely. ( You might
consider both the Graceful re-start draft and update
to graceful restart draft as informational) to help you realize the GR
which can work.

Abhay

P.S: Real quit might include restarting the router's software processes
disgracefully.Again there is no difference is it ?