Re: [OSPF] New Version Notification for draft-liang-ospf-flowspec-extensions-01.txt

"Osborne, Eric" <eric.osborne@level3.com> Thu, 09 October 2014 12:31 UTC

From: "Osborne, Eric" <eric.osborne@level3.com>
To: Youjianjie <youjianjie@huawei.com>, Hannes Gredler <hannes@juniper.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 12:31:09 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.1.196.206]
Cc: "ospf@ietf.org" <ospf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] New Version Notification for draft-liang-ospf-flowspec-extensions-01.txt

60sec OSPF convergence is pretty bad, and it's not something I'd want to achieve.  That said, 100k OSPF routes means you're probably doing something wrong.  I would expect any network big enough to have 100k legitimate flowspec entries to also have BGP.  Note: the 100k number was Hannes', and I think it's awfully high.

If you really want this to scale you might try to find a distribution method that doesn't use AS-scoped LSAs.  Doing this on a campus network means you're asking the smallest OSPF devices to handle a ton of information, and I don't think that's going to work very well.  Doing this in a PE-CE context means you're spreading rules around to lots of places they may not need to be.  For example, if you have flowspec routes with specific source addresses and you put those routes in parts of the network nowhere near those sources you'll end up burning a ton of scarce network resources unnecessarily.  Constraining flowspec routes to BGP may mean you don't push them to the edges of the campus and have to drop traffic at the campus border router, but that's likely to be the most powerful router in the network anwyays.

In his other email, Eric Wu said:

---
My personal experience, for instance, CELCOM from Malaysia and KPN from Netherland are using ospf in their networks.
---

Nobody's arguing that OSPF is rare.  My statement was that OSPF *PE-CE* is rare; to Peter's point, perhaps less rare than I think, but I still really doubt there's much of it when compared to BGP.  I'm also pretty sure that no VPN provider wants to open themselves up to carry 100k IGP routes per customer, as that's an increase of one or two orders of magnitude in the route counts.  If everybody does this it takes a large provider's BGP infrastructure from millions of routes (doable, but not at zero cost) to hundreds of millions of routes.

I think you need to think through the operational consequences of pushing a large number of flowspec routes into both the campus IGP and into the provider's VPN infrastructure.  Think about efficiency (how do I get the right routes to the right places with a link-state protocol?) and about how you handle failures (what happens if some nodes in an area can't take all the routes?).  I understand the spirit of the draft, and it's hard to argue that this sort of DDOS protection is, in spirit, a bad thing.  But I don't think that link-state flooding of flowspec routes is the right way to do it.  Openflow may be better here - push flow policies to only the points that need them or can handle them.

eric