Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-04.txt

Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM> Thu, 19 May 2005 16:21 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:20:42 -0400
From: Acee Lindem <acee@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ospf-ospfv3-update-04.txt
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Most of the changes in this version are typographical. I also reference
the new OSPF IANA draft.

I'm still interested opinions with removing the prevention of flooding
unknown LSA types (with the U bit set to 1) into stub areas. I think this
is somewhat broken since the protection is non-deterministic. Stub/NSSA
areas only include area and link scoped LSAs anyway. So, in order for
there to be an unknown LSA type at least one router in the stub or NSSA
must understand it. I really don't see the point of trying to limit the
size of
databases (and this will be somewhat arbitrary dependent on which routers
understand the LSA). As long as there is a spanning tree inside the
area, all
routers will need to store the LSAs which some routers don't understand
any way.

If we can reach concensus I'd indicate that this RFC 2740 stub/nssa
flooding
restriction is no longer valid. Again, I'd reiterate that functional
changes were
made to OSPFv2 in the RFC 1247->RFC 1583 -> RFC 2178 -> RFC 2328
protocol specification evolution.

Thanks,
Acee