Re: DR election

Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET> Tue, 03 May 2005 21:39 UTC

Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:46:04 -0700
From: Erblichs <erblichs@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Re: DR election
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Acee,

	Thanks' I just don't have the RFCs memorized
	to what section says what and yes, trying to solve
	a few gray issues to satisfy customers so I don't
	monitor this discussion on a daily basis.

	HOWEVER, Sorry,, I have to say more..

	The resulting re-election of the DR SHOULD NOT
	cause a major "churn", yes a minor churn.

	The reason is that if the re-election is done,
	their is no gurantee of a change in the DR, unless
	my suggestion of a delayed hello.

	If a new DR is elected, the previous DR would more
	than likely become the BDR or the BDR would stay
	the same. Thus, at least 1/2 of the full adjs
	are expected to stay the same.

	If this was an actual area combining event
	then the re-synch of the LSDB is necessary,
	else most of the LSDB updates would be on a 1
	way basis and only with the 1st full neighbor
	LSDB exchange.

	Yes, a minor churn, but if the new router has
	significantly higher capabilities than the present
	DR, I would see little reason not to at least
	consider this as a feature.

	Mitchell Erblich