[OSPF] Attached hosts question

Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@transmode.se> Wed, 11 March 2009 17:39 UTC

To: ospf@ietf.org
From: Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@transmode.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:39:32 +0100
Subject: [OSPF] Attached hosts question

Last in "12.4.1.  Router-LSAs" one can read:

            After consideration of all the router interfaces, host links
            are added to the router-LSA by examining the list of
            attached hosts belonging to Area A.  A host route is
            represented as a Type 3 link (stub network) whose Link ID is
            the host's IP address, Link Data is the mask of all ones
            (0xffffffff), and cost the host's configured cost (see
            Section C.7).

C.7 Host route parameters

        Host routes are advertised in router-LSAs as stub networks with
        mask 0xffffffff.  They indicate either router interfaces to
        point-to-point networks, looped router interfaces, or IP hosts
        that are directly connected to the router (e.g., via a SLIP
        line).  For each host directly connected to the router, the
        following items must be configured:

        Host IP address
            The IP address of the host.

        Cost of link to host
            The cost of sending a packet to the host, in terms of the
            link state metric.  However, since the host probably has
            only a single connection to the internet, the actual
            configured cost in many cases is unimportant (i.e., will
            have no effect on routing).

        Area ID
            The OSPF area to which the host belongs.

I read this as one can manually configure a list of attached hosts in the
router and these are then announced in the router LSA.
What I don't get is if one should do any validation that the configured
hosts are reachable or not? The spec doesn't mention this and I am getting
the feeling that this should just be a stupid list of hosts that gets
announced
regardless if they are reachable or not.

 Jocke