Re: [OSPF] IETF 67 OSPF WG Meeting minutes - Correct file appended

Richard Ogier <ogier@earthlink.net> Tue, 14 November 2006 17:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:45:59 -0800
From: Richard Ogier <ogier@earthlink.net>
To: Acee Lindem <acee@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [OSPF] IETF 67 OSPF WG Meeting minutes - Correct file appended
Cc: OSPF List <ospf@ietf.org>

Acee Lindem wrote:

> Hi Richard,
> Richard Ogier wrote:
>
>> Acee,
>>
>> I am not sure I understand what you mean.  The MDR and OR/SP
>> drafts have already been evaluated exensively via GTNetS
>> simulations.  INRIA's solution has not yet participated
>> in any such evaluation. So if we require all the drafts
>> to participate in the GTNetS evaluation (which was the
>> original plan two years ago), then we *are* holding all
>> drafts to the same experimental publication criteria.
>
> GTNetS Simulation results were presented in San Diego so I believe
> MPRs have been implemented. The code should be made available for
> public inspection and comparison with the other drafts.

We seem to be in agreement.  The question is, when will INRIA make
their (up-to-date) code available to allow a fair comparison.
The reason I am concerned is because I don't want to see a repeat
of the MANET debate between OLSR and TBRPF, in which there
was no cooperation to allow a fair comparison.  (I will avoid giving
the details here, since it might result in more arguing.)

One of the reasons I decided to work on the MDR design is because
there was a good plan for comparing the performance of the
different proposals (using GTNetS).

Richard

>> Or, are you saying that we should give INRIA a free pass
>> to avoid participating in the GTNetS evaluation?
>> I really don't think this would be fair, and therefore
>> seriously doubt that the consensus would agree with this.
>
> I agree.
>

>> I don't think the voting at the meeting clearly distinguished
>> between the two options of accepting 2 versus 3 drafts.
>> This distinction was not made explicit at the meeting.
>
> You are right that the question of 2 or 3 wasn't the primary
> focus of the dialog. While we've agreed to allow for more
> than one experimental draft, I don't think we should lower
> our standards. I don't think anyone who was at the meeting
> would disagree.
> Thanks,
> Acee
>

>> Richard
>>

>> Acee Lindem wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Richard,
>>> I think we agreed upon a process to move along and we should
>>> continue to hold all the drafts to the same experimental publication
>>> criteria. I guess the point was that we should not limit the number to
>>> 2 if we're going to publish more than 1. Without injecting too much