Re: OSPF WG Charter Proposal

Manohar Naidu Ellanti <ellanti@ATTBI.COM> Wed, 06 November 2002 21:48 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 21:50:57 +0000
From: Manohar Naidu Ellanti <ellanti@ATTBI.COM>
Subject: Re: OSPF WG Charter Proposal
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Jerry,
your comment -
"Fortunately such failures are very rare;
however, 'rare' for such events is unacceptable, 'never'
is the goal.  Other service providers have experienced
similar outages caused by similar problems." is very apt.

You have probably the most qualifying experience to talk
about control protocol.

I would like to raise the following questions
 - OSPF as it is , is it suitable to advertise auxiliary
information
- is the network model right ? spoke and wheel as
opposed to hierarchical model.
-can the protocol be simplified ; it is becoming too
monolithic
If you look at SS7  there is clear seperation of
applications from signaling protocol- comparison of OSPF
to SS7 may not make sense but if you look #7
architecturally - ISUP, TUP etc are applications on top
of signaling/control protocl.

I have asked long time back about breaking the
monilithic function of OSPF into applications/seperate
functions that can use the OSPF basic services rather
than the applicaitons being part of OSPF itself. But no
body seems to be interested or it is too late.

If  applications and their information elements (TLVs)
are seperated from OSPF it woul be feasible to reduce
OSPF LSA congestion as the LSDB itself will be segmented
or the information stored in LSDB can migrate to the
applications themselves. Just my opinions.

-ellanti