Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol

Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com> Mon, 15 September 2008 14:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:54:58 -0400
From: Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com>
To: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc: p2pi@ietf.org, Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

The cost of bandwidth testing isn't terrible, but the accuracy of measurements taken on 1K transfers is very low - you're really measuring latency and buffering, not sustained data transfer rate. Of course, there might be some relationship between them, but (at least in our measurements) it took much larger data transfers to get even remotely stable results. In addition, measuring actual throughput at a point in time can be affected by other traffic on the PC (e.g. PC's do many things when they're starting up), other nearby PC's (e.g. someone else in your neighborhood is busy right now), transient interference on the internet, etc. So while it's not unreasonable to do such testing, and we certainly do so, an ISP provided provisioned capacity would be much more accurate (when it's available).

- Laird Popkin, CTO, Pando Networks
  mobile: 646/465-0570