Re: [p2pi] [tana] [tsv-area] TANA proposed charter

"Rolf Winter" <Rolf.Winter@nw.neclab.eu> Wed, 22 October 2008 08:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:49:28 +0200
From: "Rolf Winter" <Rolf.Winter@nw.neclab.eu>
To: "Reinaldo Penno" <rpenno@juniper.net>, "Michael Welzl" <michael.welzl@uibk.ac.at>, <tana@ietf.org>, <p2pi@ietf.org>, <tsv-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [p2pi] [tana] [tsv-area] TANA proposed charter
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

Please see inline.

NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014

I read this point in the charter differently. My interpretation is that if there is something available that helps you to achieve less-than-best-effort then please make use of it. TANA is not chartered to promote the global adoption of DiffServ for this purpose.

> End-to-end diffserv is a challenge on its own given ISP policies, etc.
>
> If the link is not saturated, are such application also
> treated as 'less than best effort' by still being DSCP marked
> and treated differently within routers?
>
> I would like if possible to decouple the 'less than best
> effort', as in diffserv, from the algorithm per se.
>
> Besides, there are ISPs that are worried about the effect
> that P2P have on other applications when the link is
> saturated, but otherwise they do not care. P2P would be
> treated like best effort in non-saturated situations (a more
> ECN type approach).

That is exactly the point. P2P should not "harm" inelastic traffic. In order to do that, queues should not build up as a consequence of the P2P traffic. The charter according to my interpretation says that the most suitable of the set of available means should be used or any combination of it that makes sense.