Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol

Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com> Mon, 15 September 2008 16:52 UTC

From: Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com>
To: Nicholas Weaver <nweaver@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 12:52:04 -0400
Cc: p2pi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

The main problem is not only that the measurement accuracy is low, but
that fairly often even an accurate measurement of the instantaneous
measurement is not representative of typical throughput that the app
should be configured for.

This is a complex area, so there's lots of interesting research. For
example:

- http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5136.txt defines terminology
- http://mice.cs.columbia.edu/getTechreport.php?techreportID=500&format=pdf&
  proposes a method (and has lots of links to other tools and research).

So while there are plenty of clever methods for trying to figure out
end user link capacity, they're all complex methods of estimation. If
I can get the ISP to tell me, that's simpler and more reliable. Of
course, I can't count on the ISP to always do so, so the various
methods of estimating link capacity remain useful. :-)

- LP