Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol

Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com> Thu, 11 September 2008 18:26 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:26:08 -0400
From: Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com>
To: Richard Woundy <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
Cc: p2pi@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [p2pi] Information in an ALTO protocol
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

Keep in mind that ALTO cannot control a p2p network, just provide guidance to it. P2P networks optimize for performance. So while an ISP might try to discourage use of peers on its network as seeds, the p2p network can freely ignore that guidance if they get better performance by using them anyway, as discovered through all of the other p2p mechanisms (tracker, DHT, PEX, etc.).

The other issue is that ALTO is anticipated to be used by ISPs to provide guidance to their own users. ALTO can't provide guidance to customers of other ISPs. So ISP A cannot tell the rest of the internet to pull data from ISP B but not ISP A.

- Laird Popkin, CTO, Pando Networks
  mobile: 646/465-0570