Re: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)

Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com> Wed, 15 October 2008 19:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:35:19 -0400
From: Laird Popkin <laird@pando.com>
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa.dusseault@gmail.com>
Cc: p2pi@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [p2pi] WG Review: Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (alto)
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

I agree that (a) is where ALTO should focus.

To elaborate a bit, (a) can only be provided by the ISP by definition (nobody else really knows the ISP's network and business policies), while (b) and (c) are, if I understand you correctly, both currently being done using internal communications within the p2p applications using their existing protocols. IMO, standardizing (a) is very important because it allows ISPs to provide information to applications that that they can't otherwise get (e.g. ISP policies) or can only derive in complex, inaccurate ways (e.g. using hop counts to approximate network locality).

- Laird Popkin, CTO, Pando Networks
  mobile: 646/465-0570