Re: [p2pi] draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-02 posted

"Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com> Wed, 05 November 2008 22:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:29:45 -0500
From: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>
To: Reinaldo Penno <rpenno@juniper.net>, p2pi@ietf.org
Cc: "Woundy, Richard" <Richard_Woundy@cable.comcast.com>, "Livingood, Jason" <Jason_Livingood@cable.comcast.com>
Subject: Re: [p2pi] draft-livingood-woundy-p4p-experiences-02 posted
Sender: p2pi-bounces@ietf.org

Reinaldo,

I can answer the easy questions. We will need some assistance from Pando
(and Yale) for some of the other ones.

>What was the file size in those experiments?

21 megabytes. From section 2: "Pando distributed a special 21 MB
licensed video file as in order to measure the effectiveness of P4P
iTrackers."

>How long would it take to download the file in the three different
scenarios? I know that more consumed bandwidth in access might lead one
to conclude that file was downloaded faster...

To clarify, most of the raw data (download speed and Internet
peering/transit traffic volumes) were collected by Pando Networks from
their P2P clients, not collected by Comcast across its links. So my
assumption is that the Pando client used the content size (21 MB), and
divided by the download time to get the speed.

>Was the file already seeded in Comcast's network? More specifically,
how
was file propagation done?

Any seeding happened outside of Comcast's network, and outside of
Comcast's control. That's really a question for Pando.

>Was PEX, DHT and others enabled in the clients?

Pando would know whether PEX was enabled. It would be safe to assume
that with respect to this trial, DHT was NOT enabled, since Pando
supplied the tracker. (The pTracker in the draft is a tracker operated
by Pando.)

>Was local peer discovery enabled in the clients?

Pando would know.

>BTW, can broadcast/multicast peer discovery work in Cable networks?

Do you mean something like this:
http://bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0026.html?

If so, peer discovery probably would not work over the typical last mile
cable network. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see this protocol as intended for
peer discovery within one's home network / LAN / WiFi network, not over
a cable network.

>So, were clients allowed to become seeders to the outside of Comcast's
network?

Yes, they were.

As a related item, look closely at section 4.2. The amount of aggregate
uploaded data from Comcast clients (per swarm) was about 140,000 MB. The
amount of aggregate downloaded data from Comcast clients (per swarm) was
about 60,000 MB or so. So the typical Comcast client uploaded more than
twice the amount of data that it downloaded.

>How much of the swarm was within Comcast and outside?

Most of the swarm was outside of Comcast. Unfortunately I don't have
access to the size of the global swarm, but I would guess that Comcast
clients represented no more than 15% of the swarm, and maybe as little
as 5%. Those guesses are based on the behavior of the random swarm, e.g.
Comcast clients uploaded to non-Comcast clients 94% of the time in the
random swarm.

-- Rich