Re: [p2prg] (no subject)

Pedro Martínez Juliá <pedromj@um.es> Sun, 15 July 2012 15:03 UTC

Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:04:00 +0200
From: Pedro Martínez Juliá <pedromj@um.es>
Subject: Re: [p2prg] (no subject)

15/07/12 16:07, b7uR:
> Disadvantages of a peer to peer network:
> 	* the system is not centralised, making administration difficult
> 	* lack of security
> 	* no computer in the network is reliable
> Therefore, peer-to-peer networks are only useful for a small number of
> computers (generally about 10), and only suitable for applications that
> do not require a high level of security (it is not advisable in a
> business network containing sensitive data).
>
> how to overcome this disadvantage and how about the security?because when
> the user using p2p network, the security level is very low compare to
> ethernet network. During the file is transferring (p2p network), any
> hackers can hack the user and crash or do something wrong to the file and
> especially virus. Can this problem be solve? Thank you.

You are only true in the complexity of administration. P2P networks are not
managed/administered in a classical way. They use to be autonomic. Therefore,
the P2P networks keep their working state and achieve their objective without
human intervention.

About security, reliability, and trust, your claims are totally wrong. You can
build a security scheme for P2P networks and also a reliable network by
carefully selecting the nodes you use to build the overlay network from the
available nodes in the P2P network.

That said, you can control which nodes form part of the overlay network, so
they will not destroy your communication (see Kademlia). Also, you can use any
hashing and signing mechanism to ensure that the information you receive is
not modified on its way, the same as the underlying networks.

Finally, I re commend you to show evidences or reference to a high reputation
source (paper) when you affirm something so strong.

Regards,
Pedro

--
Pedro Martinez-Julia
Department of Communication and Information Engineering