Re: [P2PSIP] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-p2psip-sip-18: (with COMMENT)

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <t.schmidt@haw-hamburg.de> Wed, 20 April 2016 10:09 UTC

To: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <t.schmidt@haw-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:09:28 +0200
Cc: "p2psip-chairs@ietf.org" <p2psip-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-p2psip-sip@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-p2psip-sip@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "p2psip@ietf.org" <p2psip@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-p2psip-sip-18: (with COMMENT)

Hi Mirja,

actually, I'm a bit confused about this discussion. There is plenty of
work out in the wild about P2P anonymity and pseudonym services ... TOR
being one prominent example. However, if I'm not mistaken, no IETF
standard exists in this area so that we cannot pointer to a standard
solution.

A discussion of the general state of the art in this field feels well
beyond the scope of the document: This security subsection shall only
make people aware of this privacy aspect. It is not meant to server as a
general purpose guidance on privacy in P2P networks. ;)

Cheers,
  Thomas