Re: [P2PSIP] New draft: HIP BONE

Salman Abdul Baset <salman@cs.columbia.edu> Fri, 21 December 2007 18:18 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:18:18 -0500
From: Salman Abdul Baset <salman@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] New draft: HIP BONE

My general concern with running a peer protocol (RELOAD or P2PP) on top of
HIP is that one will need to understand somewhat two completely different
documents (HIP and peer protocol document) to implement a working
solution. That increases the bar for someone who will like to quickly
design and develop a working p2p solution.

I think there is a need to carefully perform message overhead analysis of
HIP under different levels of churn. I am a bit confused about splitting
the functionality between the overlay layer and the HIP layer. Is peer
protocol no more than an encoding mechanism when implemented on top of
HIP?

-salman