RE: RE: [P2PSIP] Open issues with client has multiple associated peers

Song Yongchao <melodysong@huawei.com> Wed, 30 January 2008 02:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:37:23 +0800
From: Song Yongchao <melodysong@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: RE: [P2PSIP] Open issues with client has multiple associated peers
To: "'Roy, Radhika R Dr CTR USA USAMC'" <radhika.r.roy@us.army.mil>

See inline [Song].

[Song] Maybe it is left to the implementations to do the choice in my mind.
If someone thinks there is a need for the choice to be communicated between
a client and its associated peer in some scenarios, then it should be
considered from the protocol point of view?

> > (2)Should the client learn more peers information that can be the
> > client'sassociated peers through its now associated peer? And when
> > one of its
> > associated peers fails, it joins another to keep enough associated
> > peers for
> > choice? I think probably this is what we needed.
> [RRR] Yes, definitely. I guess that it is the beauty of the P2P protocol
> make as reliable as one can make.

[Song] Yes, we need to provide reliable service to the clients in the
overlay. I think the associated peer may notice the client with a few peers
information regularly(must not very often if the churn rate of the overlay
is low), and then the client can inquire these peers to make a good choice.
I will add it to the SEP Client Protocol. Thanks.

> > (3)Should there be a notification mechanism between a client and its
> > associated peer? So the client can timely know the status of the
> > associated peer, and avoid choosing the congested or busy peer to
> > serve him? I think we
> > do need it.
>
> [RRR] I think that the performance criteria for choosing a peer should be
> general one as it is the usual case in any communications networks. For
example,
> in the IP network, the routers also have some general criteria how to
choose
> the netxt hop router out of many neighboring routers. In the same token,
the
> P2P protocol should also follow the similar mechanisms that are obvious.

[Song] I agree. There is no such a peer which is eternal powerful in the p2p
overlay. It may be busy, or its bandwidth may get congested, or there is
some device error which makes it go down. In SEP client protocol, we provide
a NOTIFY message for the status notification between a client and its
associated peer, but we don't provide the strict criteria when a NOTIFY
should be sent, it is left to the implementation, or we can describe some
general criterias here?