[P2PSIP] Re: a modular approach for integrating HIP for P2PSIP

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> Mon, 31 December 2007 10:46 UTC

Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:46:34 +0200
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
To: Ali Fessi <ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de>
Subject: [P2PSIP] Re: a modular approach for integrating HIP for P2PSIP

Hi Ali,

HIP includes an ICE-based NAT traversal mechanism. If two nodes use HIP,
they will perform ICE at the HIP level, not at the application level.
Using application-level ICE to negotiate the use of HIP between nodes,
per your email below, is cumbersome. The use of HIP can be negotiated in
simpler ways.

With regards to the use of HIP in overlays, the simplest way would be to
  deploy overlays where all nodes use HIP and overlays where none of the
nodes use HIP. However, some people have expressed interest in having
mixed overlays where some nodes use HIP while others don't. If people
are interested in doing this, we will have to look into ways to
negotiate its use within the overlay.

Cheers,

Gonzalo