Re: [Pals] Progressing draft-busi-pals-pw-cw-stitching-01

Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com> Tue, 05 February 2019 17:36 UTC

From: Italo Busi <Italo.Busi@huawei.com>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>
CC: "pals@ietf.org" <pals@ietf.org>, Shell Nakash <Shell.Nakash@ecitele.com>, Michael Gorokhovsky <Michael.Gorokhovsky@ecitele.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 17:36:35 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.203.246.251]
Subject: Re: [Pals] Progressing draft-busi-pals-pw-cw-stitching-01

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for your comment and for having brought to the table another alternative solution to the problem we are trying to solve

Using H-VPLS for p2p services, even if possible, is not something I really like/prefer/advocate

If the option to stitch the PW traffic at the Ethernet level is acceptable, I would prefer following the approach suggested by Matthew during IETF 103 which, as far as I have understood, is based on the MS-PW architecture rather than on H-VPLS architecture

In both cases, stitching the PW traffic at the Ethernet level would work if and only if:

-          Ethernet PWs are the only PWs being deployed without the CW

-          These Ethernet PWs are always single-homed (i.e., no dual-homing, no PW redundancy)

-          It is acceptable to use Ethernet OAM instead of VCCV to monitor an MS-PW end-to-end (between the two T-PEs), e.g., for locating which PW segment is failed when the MS-PW is down

A side question would also be how the network can be reconfigured without using the PW redundancy

Italo