Re: [Pals] draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree - possible ways forward

Jiangyuanlong <jiangyuanlong@huawei.com> Fri, 09 October 2015 12:03 UTC

From: Jiangyuanlong <jiangyuanlong@huawei.com>
To: Lizhong Jin <lizho.jin@gmail.com>, "Stewart Bryant (stbryant)" <stbryant@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:02:47 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.66.76.118]
Cc: "pals@ietf.org" <pals@ietf.org>, "pals-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <pals-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Pals] draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree - possible ways forward

Hi all,

We had some discussions on this mechanism when the document was still an individual draft (in fact, when it was being updated to draft-jiang-l2vpn-vpls-pe-etree-03).
Just like Stewart, some service providers were also concerned that this mechanism may result in a great waste of platform labels. For example, in a network with one root PE and 1000 leaf PEs, only 1001 PW labels are needed for the approach in the document; but we will need 1000*999/2=499500 PW labels in all for the proposed mechanism (since leaf to leaf PWs are still allocated). That is the main reason we adopted the current approach.
Therefore, I will regard option 1) as the favorite way forward:
1) Leave the design as it is, but add text to describe the constraint and
what happens if you have to change mode and what to do about it.

I will be glad to see more inputs to this topic.

Thanks,
Yuanlong