Re: [Pana] Security Comment: draft-ohba-pana-relay-02.txt

"Alper Yegin" <alper.yegin@yegin.org> Mon, 22 November 2010 11:25 UTC

From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
To: 'Margaret Wasserman' <margaretw42@gmail.com>, paduffy@cisco.com, 'Samita Chakrabarti' <samitac@ipinfusion.com>, robert.cragie@gridmerge.com, yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:25:47 +0200
Cc: 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms.ietf@gmail.com>, pana@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Pana] Security Comment: draft-ohba-pana-relay-02.txt

Hi Margaret,

EAP and PANA protocols are designed to operate over unsecure links.
They don't expect any encryption, integrity/replay protection, data origin
authentication from the layers below.
As far as the EAP and PANA are concerned, PRE is no different than a bridge
or a router relaying the EAP/PANA payloads between the PaC and the PAA.
In fact, PRE's only role is to transport the PANA packets.
Therefore, there does not need to be a security association between the PRE
and the PAA in order to carry out the EAP/PANA authentication.

Alper