Re: [Pana] Explicit error indication

"Alper Yegin" <alper.yegin@yegin.org> Wed, 01 June 2011 08:33 UTC

From: Alper Yegin <alper.yegin@yegin.org>
To: 'Yoshihiro Ohba' <yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:32:44 +0300
Cc: pana@ietf.org, 'Ralph Droms' <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Pana] Explicit error indication

Yoshi,

I'm afraid my worries are coming true. I was worried that this would grow on
us. Now we are talking about supporting different classes of error cases.
Most probably we'd have to define bunch of error types. We'll try to be
complete there. And then there are also case handling (e.g., whether session
id is available, etc.). On top of that, defining general error messaging in
this "extension" draft is not the right thing. That better have a separate
base, if we decide to do such a work. One more thing: this impacts the PaC.
Relaying did not have any impact on the PaC until that.

On top of that, defining such error signaling is something we had debated
long time in the base spec development and had agreed to remove. And again
we had the same discussion in the context of PANA-relay, and then again
decided to remove. Both after long debates and coming to conscious
decisions. Such error messages are not useful for protocol operation, it is
only good for debugging. As far as I know, we don't do these kind of error
signaling in our IETF protocols. Silent discarding and optionally logging an
error is what we do.

I'm recapping Jari's email below. I'd like to go with his "I don't mind that
we skip specifying this functionality now.", and take care of his "At the
very least, we should
specify what happens if you end up receiving an already relayed message." as
follows:

	If the PRE is not configured with any PAA information, it SHALL
silently discard the
	incoming PANA messages and it MAY log an error.

	If the PRE receives an PRY message from another PRE, then it SHOULD
silently discard
	that message and it MAY log an error. Future extensions may define a
multi-hop relay
	procedure which can change the PRE behavior in this respect.

What do you think?

Alper

------- Jari's email ----------------

> This specification assumes there is at most one PRE between the PaC
> and the PAA.  Performing relay operation on a PANA message that is
> already relayed (i.e., carried inside a PRY message) is out-of scope
> of this specification.

This is problematic, as it may occur. At the very least, we should
specify what happens if you end up receiving an already relayed message.
Loops may also occur.

I don't mind that we skip specifying this functionality now. What I'm
worried about is the upgrade to doing something better in the future. If
we don't do something now, how do we know tomorrow that our messages are
being correctly relayed?

I would recommend the following behaviour, actually. If the relay
detects an already existing relay attributes or has no configuration to
actually be able to send something to a PAA, it would reply with the
relevant PANA message and set Result-Code to <TBD = Relay cannot route
message>. This would allow the client to at least know something is
wrong. This would also allow the relay to signal other erroneous
conditions to the client.