Re: [PANRG] RG Last Call for draft-irtf-panrg-questions

"Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch> Thu, 13 August 2020 20:46 UTC

From: "Brian Trammell (IETF)" <ietf@trammell.ch>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 22:46:28 +0200
Cc: Jen Linkova <furry13@gmail.com>, "panrg@irtf.org" <panrg@irtf.org>
To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
Subject: Re: [PANRG] RG Last Call for draft-irtf-panrg-questions

hi Med,

(as individual, author of the questions draft)

Apologies for the mix-up here; I thought I'd already addressed these in -02 (https://github.com/panrg/questions/commit/9c375169f15d36d80f9f865cf4bea999dd240199#diff-ac1187308763948092e6518e3ddeba00)... Took another look and it turns out I had apparently addressed an earlier set of comments, and mistaken these for those. Sorry about that! So: thanks for the detailed comments.

Note in the message below, [MedXX] refers to the Microsoft Word comment label in the PDF you sent.

Reviewing these, there are a few more changes to the document accepted or addressed without comment, thanks for these [Med5, Med7, Med11, Med14, Med16, Med27, Med29, Med36, Med38, Med45] -- they'll appear in a future revision collecting all LC feedback Real Soon Now (pull request is here: https://github.com/panrg/questions/pull/9, will merge shortly)

There are also comments to which I guess I would generally agree, but for which no edit is necessary IMO, usually because the resulting edit would be at a level of detail not appropriate in the context of the rest of the document [Med9, Med21, Med22, Med23]

Editorial comments which I considered, but won't make an edit, largely for stylistic and/or document consistency reasons [Med26, Med35, Med43]

And comments I acknowledge, but can't figure out a useful to action to take in response to [Med10, Med30, Med34, Med40, Med41, Med44]

Abstract edits: An endpoint may comprise an application in this view, so I'm not inclined to accept these.

[Med1, Med2] question terms used in the RG charter, so I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to consider a reframing of them in this document.

[Med3] questions why "Internet" is important here; see paragraph 4 of the introduction as to why we made this distinction in the chartering of the RG.

[Med4] speculates as to the answerability of Question 3 in a restricted context ("strict source routing", which is a highly restricted subset of path selection), so I'm not sure what the action on the document should be here.

[Med6] in this RG, and in this document, we are concerned primarily with the characteristics of the path; "service" is a highly overloaded term but in the context of the quoted RFCs what I think you mean "on-path packet manipulations", which are indeed path characteristics.

[Med8] this document does not presuppose definition of path details, that's what the path properties draft is for.

[Med13] You're right, working out how to do this in a multicast context would be interesting, however, that is not the scope of this document (that would indeed be too ambitious at this time IMO).

[Med15] I've cited 7624 for the problem statement; this is but one example, and after all, it is research

[Med17] hands these tools to network operators; PAN seeks to hand equivalent tools to the endpoints.

[Med18, Med25] I would call the nouns in a data model the vocabulary, and this really is about the nouns.

[Med19] is addressed in section 2.7

[Med20] is addressed in section 2.8 (or rather, must be addressed by any answer to 2.8)

[Med31] the difference here is intentional: it's interfaces to transport and application that are important, because that's how path properties and selection actually get used.

[Med32] hm, "for some definition of path" is indeed doing a lot of work in this sentence; changed the paragraph to "In the current Internet, the basic assumption that at a given time all
traffic for a given flow will receive the same network treatment and traverse
the same path or equivalend paths often holds. In a path aware network,
this assumption is more easily violated holds. The weakening of this assumption
has implications for the design of protocols above any path-aware network layer."

[Med33] raises an interesting point that points toward potential answers to sections 2.7/2.8... how and whether gatewaying interacts with a PAN. Indeed, a student of mine who was working on PAN stuff a couple of years ago built a proof of concept PAN based around linking access network egress interfaces to bits in the v6 source address. I think this probably belongs in the domain of "answers" rather than "questions", though.

[Med37] Or paths that exist outside the space of Gao-Rexford policies, or that exist due to what Geoff Huston refers to as "senseless routing vandalism", or for other reasons, yes. AIUI many networks do actually connect to each other at multiple interconnection points, so I think it's safe to assume available physical interconnection is richer than a simplified model provided by the BGP AS adjacency graph.

[Med42] The path aware architecture with which I am most familiar, and which has seen the most actual deployment AFAIK, is SCION, which does indeed pre-establish paths to select from (though these are not committed: they represent possibilities, not circuits).

Thanks, cheers,

Brian