Re: [payload] WGLC for draft-ietf-payload-rtp-aptx-01

Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com> Tue, 24 September 2013 20:36 UTC

From: Jonathan Lennox <jonathan@vidyo.com>
To: John Lindsay <Lindsay@worldcastsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:36:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.22.1.1]
Cc: "<Foerster@worldcastsystems.com>" <Foerster@worldcastsystems.com>, "<payload@ietf.org>" <payload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [payload] WGLC for draft-ietf-payload-rtp-aptx-01

On Sep 24, 2013, at 1:03 PM, John Lindsay <Lindsay@worldcastsystems.com>
 wrote:

> Hi Jonathon
>
> Thanks for reviewing this and the points raised.
>
> I agree on re-reading that the delivery method test is a bit abstract
> and maybe doesn't add anything, by delivery method we mean the algorithm
> selected e.g. Standard or Enhanced APTX.
> As I think this is clear to the reader I think these lines could be
> removed.

Okay.

> Hence I propose changing some sections to remove these references.
>
> 6.2
> From
>      The required parameters "variant" and "bitresolution" MUST be
>      included in the SDP "a=fmtp" attribute and MUST follow the
>      delivery-method that applies.
>      The required parameters "variant" and "bitresolution" MUST be
>      included in the SDP "a=fmtp" attribute.

Seems good.

> From
>      The optional parameters "stereo-channel-pairs", "embedded-
>      autosync-channels", "embedded-aux-channels", and "maxptime" when
>      present, MUST be included in the SDP "a=fmtp" attribute and MUST
>      follow the delivery-method that applies.
>      The optional parameters "stereo-channel-pairs", "embedded-
>      autosync-channels", "embedded-aux-channels",  MUST be
>      included in the SDP "a=fmtp" attribute.

You lost the "when present" in your edit, which I assume should still be there.

> SDP-Mapping
>
> Agreed this should have its own SDP a=attribute, suggest changing
> section 6.2 from
>
>     The parameter "maxptime" when present, MUST be included in the
>      SDP "a=maxptime" attribute.

That seems good.

> Marker bit.
>
> Again this can be changed as per RFC3551, as we have no use for this in
> our profile (RFC3550) it can follow the recommendations of RFC 3551
> where it will be zero for most of the intended applications that we can
> see.
>
> Suggest changing section 5.1 from
>
>  o  M - This payload format defines no use for this bit. Senders
>      SHOULD set this bit to zero in each outgoing packet.
>
>  o  M - As per [RFC3551]

A bit vague, since RFC 3551 has other usages of the M bit for video.  I'd suggest "As per [RFC3551] Section 4.1".

> Payload types
> As I understand it the avtcore group has been discussing a new RFC that
> will update RFC3551 due to conflicts but it is currently unpublished
> work. What recommendations does the group have for the doc on this?
> Currently I feel we reflect what is stated in RFC3551?

I'd just say "A dynamic payload type MUST be used", and drop the reference to the range.

> Aux data
> The Aux data channel can be used for whatever the codec user requires
> and is not defined by this draft, it provides a point to point channel
> and is embedded within the Audio payload at 1/4 of the Audio sampling
> rate?

The problem with "whatever the codec user requires" is that it's "whatever the sender wants", not "whatever the receiver wants" -- so the receiver might have no idea what the sender is putting in this channel.  Unless you're assuming that both sides are under the same administrative control, this seems to me like it can to interoperability problems.

What is this channel commonly used for, and how is it configured?

> To get access to this you would have to decode the audio payload, for
> which you would need either a standard of Enhanced apt-X codec. Hence we
> feel any security issues are minimal? What is the feeling of the
> workgroup?

Again, it's what it's used for, and whether you can always guarantee that the other end isn't sending you something hostile if the channel is used for some sort of active data.  (Don't assume security-through-obscurity; i.e., the apt-X codec being proprietary doesn't mean that a bad guy can't encode or decode it.)

> Section 3 of the doc provides an overview of the codecs operation. The
> aim of the draft is how to packetize Standard or Enhanced apt-X over RTP
> not to explain the operation of the codec. Further details are likely to
> be proprietary to CSR and interested parties would need to talk to CSR
> directly about obtaining licenses and setting up NDA's for further
> information.

That's fine -- but does CSR have any public (non-technical) data sheets that can be cited, or anything else that an interested party can use to figure out how to contact CSR to decide whether they want to begin this process?  I see for instance <http://www.csr.com/sites/default/files/white-papers/aptx_lossless_whitepaper1.pdf> -- citing that (or something better) as an informative reference for background on apt-X would seem reasonable.