Re: [payload] Review request for JPEG XS RTP payload format I-D

"Roni Even (A)" <roni.even@huawei.com> Tue, 19 June 2018 13:52 UTC

From: "Roni Even (A)" <roni.even@huawei.com>
To: Sébastien Lugan <A102BBEA@dynmail.crt1.net>, "payload@ietf.org" <payload@ietf.org>
CC: Alexandre Willème <alexandre.willeme@uclouvain.be>, Gaël Rouvroy <g.rouvroy@intopix.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 13:52:08 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.200.202.68]
Subject: Re: [payload] Review request for JPEG XS RTP payload format I-D

Hi,
I did an initial review, in general the document is in line with the WG charter so we can ask the WG to adopt the document.
Yet, after reviewing the document I suggest that you will provide another revision of the individual draft.

My comments are editorial in order to have the document follow the RTP payload structure

1. I suggest you look at RFC 8088 (RTP howto) and also at recent RTP payload for video codecs (RFC7741 and draft-ietf-payload-rtp-vc2hq)
2.  The media type definition should use the template defined in [RFC6838] and  following [RFC4855]. See one of the above RTP payloads
3. Any parameter that goes into the fmtp line should be in the media type definition as required or optional.
4. The offer answer consideration should have an example (I am not sure what is the "encode" parameter).
5. I suggest that the header fields in table 1 should be as a list and not as a table
6. In the RTP header according to RFRC3550 "The initial value of the timestamp SHOULD be random" , the wallclock should be in the RTCP SR and RR reports. (BTW: you can look at RFC7273 about clock sources)
7.The RTP header in figure 2 is missing the CSRC field and the place holder for RTP header extensions
8. Section 1 should include at least the content of the abstract
9. In section 2 there is no need to have a subsection for each term.
10. In section 2.10 [see there], where is there?
11. you do not need section 4.1 and the start of 4.2  I suggest "This section describes how the jepeg xs video stream is encapsulated
   in RTP.  To handle network losses, usage of RTP/AVPF [RFC4585] is   RECOMMENDED.  "
12.  A general comment , the document defines slice, slice group, fragment and frame multiple times, please define just once (section 2 or 3) and use the terms later.

If you have any questions I am here to help

Thanks
Roni Even
Payload WG co-chair