Re: [Pce] Rtgdir last call review of draft-farrel-pce-stateful-flags-02

"BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com> Wed, 06 November 2019 17:37 UTC

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>
To: "pce@ietf.org" <pce@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-farrel-pce-stateful-flags.all@ietf.org" <draft-farrel-pce-stateful-flags.all@ietf.org>, "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, "<rtg-ads@ietf.org> (rtg-ads@ietf.org)" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 17:37:41 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.249.177]
Subject: Re: [Pce] Rtgdir last call review of draft-farrel-pce-stateful-flags-02

Hi PCE WG,

I've talked with your Chairs and my fellow ADs (Martin and Alvaro). The intent for this document was to be a working group document as it is updating a PCE PS document. It was felt there was no need for renaming to reflect a working group document.

RFC6174 defines Working Group document states. Datatracker uses the filenames to determine the status and the I-D repository. For a document to reflect the source being a working group, the filename needs to reflect it as draft-ietf-wgname.

Martin, Alvaro, and myself agree the filename needs to reflect the wg. It only takes seconds to upload a revised filename. While Adrian is concerned on delays, there is no need for a Chair to poll for "adoption" or "Last Call" a document. What is critical is that a PS document has the appropriate visibility and adequate review for folks to raise concerns/comments. In IETF, the filename is used to identify and it is questionable if an individual filename document receives the appropriate visibility. It only takes seconds to post a new filename.

On this specific document, I noted -00 was posted in June, there were no comments before WG Last Call poll in September. On poll for WG Last Call, only the author responded supporting. Dhruv asked a second time on the list, there were 4 responses. This draft identifies a lack of specification in RFC8231, the proposed change is not backward compatible. A private poll was done and indicates existing implementations are ok with this modification. While among the PCE working group, there often are a small number of respondents, I am concerned the filename itself may not have provided the necessary visibility. Before IETF Last Calling, I have returned the document to the working group to allow the Chairs to change the filename. If anyone in the working group has any concerns/comments on the document, let the Chairs know and also there will be an opportunity to comment during IETF Last Call.

A note to all of you, for the Chairs to judge consensus it is critical for folks to be involved in discussions - support or not support. Do not be shy! The working group mailing lists are looked at by the IESG, IAB, and others (internal and external to IETF) to determine interest/participation level in our standards process. The IAB is evaluating now the process including RFC value (implementations):
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-huitema-rfc-eval-project-02.txt

The conclusion is the working group process itself introduces the most delays - there are multiple reasons. Let's not have lack of interest by the working group be a delay.

And of course - do not be shy if any questions/concerns on my (or Alvaro's, Martin's) decisions-
Deborah