Re: [Pce] draft-ietf-pce-pcep-extension-native-ip-14.txt---with HyperLink Correction

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Fri, 30 July 2021 13:08 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:07:50 +0800
Cc: pce@ietf.org, idr-chairs <idr-chairs@ietf.org>, pce-chairs <pce-chairs@ietf.org>
To: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
Subject: Re: [Pce] draft-ietf-pce-pcep-extension-native-ip-14.txt---with HyperLink Correction

Hi, Susan:
Thanks for your review!
Detail responses are inlines below.

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

> On Jul 30, 2021, at 05:50, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> wrote:
>

> Aijun:
>
> I apologize for missing PCE session today.  I re-injured a knee just before the session.  Let me provide you suggestions for sections 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3 that may resolve some of the issues.
>
> This specification provides one mechanism for BGP auto-configuration.  I’m happy to continue to review this draft and provide suggestions.
>
> Cheerily, Susan Hares
>

> Section 6.1
> =============
> Old text:/
>     The procedures for establishing the BGP session between two peers
>      By using the PCInitiate and PCRpt message pair is show below: /
>
> New text:/
>     The PCInitiate message can be used to configure the parameters for
>     a BGP peer session using the PCInitiate and PCRpt message pair.
>     This pair of PCE messages is exchanged with a PCE function
>     Attached to each BGP peer which needs to be configured.
>     After the BGP peer session has been configured
>     via this pair of PCE messages the BGP session establishment process
>     operates in a normal fashion.
>
>     All BGP peers are configured for peer to peer communication whether the
>     peers are E-BGP peers or I-BGP peers.   One of the IBGP topologies requires
>     that multiple I-BGPs peers operate in a route-reflector I-BGP peer topology.
>     The example below shows 2 I-BGP route reflector clients interacting
>     with one Route Reflector (RR), but Route Reflector topologies may have
>     up to 100s of clients.  Centralized configuration via PCE provides
>     mechanisms to scale auto-configuration of small and large topologies.
[WAJ] Will update the draft later accordingly to your suggestions.

> old text:/
>     In the example in Figure 1, if the routers R1 and R7 are within one AS
>     and R3 acts as a router reflector.  PCInitiate message should be sent
>     to route reflector clients R1 (M1) and R7 (M4),a nd the route reflector
>     clients (R3 M2 & M3) respectively.  For inter-AS scenario, such message
>     can be sent directly to ASBR router to build EBGP session./
>
> New text:/
>     The route reflector topology for a single AS is shown in Figure 1.
>     The BGP routers R1, R3, and R7 are within a single AS.  R1 and R7
>     are BGP router-reflector clients, and R3 is a Route Reflector.
>
>      The PCInitiate message should be sent all of the BGP routers that
>      need to be configured R1 (M3), R3 (M2 & M3), and R7 (M4). /
[WAJ]  Will update the draft later accordingly to your suggestions.

> ---------------------------
> Section 6.2.
>
> My understanding for your email is that the explicit route
> establishment procedures are installing a static route
> which is not to be redistributed via BGP peer.
[WAJ] Yes, the information deployed via EPR object will not redistributed via BGP.

> If this understanding is correct, please clearly state this
> fact and modify the diagrams to indicate a static route
> A suggestion for text for this case is:
>
> Old text: /
> The detail procedures for the explicit route establishment
> procedures are show below. /
>
> New text: /
> The explicit route establishment procedures can be used
> to install a route via PCE in the PCC/BGP Peer.
[WAJ] Correct.
> Based on BGP policy, these routes may or may not
> be redistributed by the BGP peers.
[WAJ] Such info will not be redistributed via BGP. The BGP session that established via BPI object will only advertise Prefixes that included in the PPA object.
>  PCE explicit routes
> operate similar to static routes installed
> by network management protocols (netconf/restconf)
> but the  routes are associated with the PCE routing module.
[WAJ]Correct

> An example of the use case where the of the use case where
> explicit route installed by PCE is redistributed by BGP is
> described in section 6.3.
[WAJ] No. The information in EPR object is not redistributed by BGP.  Section 6.3 describes how to deploy the prefixes that should be advertised by BGP session that established via BPI object.
The information within PPA has no relation with the information in EPR object.

> An example of the procedure
> where the explicit route installed by PCE is not redistributed
> by BGP is described in this section (see figure 2 below for the
> topology).
[WAJ]I think this sentence should be omitted.

>  Explicit route installations (like NM static routes)
> must carefully install and uninstall static routes in an specific
> order so that the pathways are established without loops. /
[WAJ] Will update the draft later accordingly.

> ----------------
> Section 6.3
> Old text:/
> The detailed procedures for BGP prefix advertisement are shown
> Below using PCInitiate and PCRpt message pair./
>
> New Text:/
> The explicit route establishment procedures can be used
> to install a route via PCE in the router that is both
> a PCC and BGP Peer.  Based on BGP policy, these routes
> may be redistributed by the BGP peers (or may not be distributed).
>
> This section provides an example  of the
> PCInitiate and PCRpt messages for the use case when
> routes installed via PCE are redistributed within an IBGP
> cloud with RR and RR clients when a I-BGP policy allows
> PCE explicit routes to be originated within the I-BGP cloud.
> The E-BGP use case and the IBGP use case without
> route reflectors are not shown in this example.
>
> The redistribution via BGP of PCE explicit routes
> based on the BGP policy is similar to redistribution
> of static routes installed by network management
> protocols (netconf/restconf) are redistributed by BGP.
> However, in this use case configured routes are
> associated with the PCE routing module and BGP
> policy must handle the redistribution of these routes. /
[WAJ] The above description is not correct. Wish my explanation can help you to review it again.
Wait for your updated suggestions.