Re: [Pce] WGLC for draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags-02

Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn> Thu, 12 May 2022 06:25 UTC

From: Aijun Wang <wangaijun@tsinghua.org.cn>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 14:24:49 +0800
Cc: pce@ietf.org, pce-chairs <pce-chairs@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags@ietf.org
To: Dhruv Dhody <dd@dhruvdhody.com>
Subject: Re: [Pce] WGLC for draft-ietf-pce-lsp-extended-flags-02

Hi, Dhruv:
It’s possible to use variable length, but most of the flag field are fixed size, because this field needs to be compared in bits. Align them with the same width will be more easier.
Even with your mentioned examples, the used flags are only 16bits until now(16 years past since RFC5088 published).

The reason that I raised this concern is that I have not imaged another 32bit flag need to be defined for LSP, regardless of the length as 64 or more longer.

And for the variable length flag, there need to be more error considerations in the future bit-defined document. For example, if you define bit 35, you should consider the error that the length of received LSP-EXTENDED-FLAG is only 4(32bit), and describes the mismatch reason in the error information?

Until now, I have not seen which defined flag has exceeds the 32bit. If there is enough necessary to do so, I don’t object, but currently I don’t see the image, why don’t we keep the thing simple.

And, I support the forwarding of this draft. The current flag field has no room for further extension.

Aijun Wang
China Telecom